According to Jacobus Borough's 'Alarm Device' Ordinance #99-142, Section 402, permits are required as follows:
1. Persons seeking to use an automatic dialing device, alarm device, alarm or outdoor audible alarm shall first file a permit with the Borough or its designated agent for police protection and obtain the prior written approval from the public safety agency which shall be notified of and/or respond to an alarm. The borough shall furnish forms which any person wishing to apply for a permit shall submit with his application. An alarm system which produces both a fire and burglar alarm shall be considered separate thereby requiring two (2) permit approvals.
2. All outdoor audible alarms that can be activated falsely shall be subject to the same conditions applicable to automatic dialing devices that result in false alarms.
3. For the purpose of this Part, the use of a common alarm for multiple tenant or user premises which do not provide common access and entry to a policeman or fireman responding to an alarm is strictly prohibited.
4. The owner of an unoccupied property shall be considered the responsible party causing or permitting a false alarm.
5. A person purchasing a premises in the Borough on which an alarm device is located shall not continue to operate the alarm device on the premises without obtaining or amending the existing alarm device permit within 30 days after the person obtains title to the premises.
Upon issuance of the Alarm Permit, the permit information will be forwarded to the Borough's contracted police protection agency, York Area Regional Police Department.
TRANSIENT RETAIL MERCHANT LICENSE
(also referred to as Solicitation License or Permit)
Any person, firm or corporation engaging in a transient retail business (or solicitation) within the Borough of Jacobus must obtain a 'Solicitation License (or Permit)' first. A fee for each license issued, is required to be paid upon submission of the application. The fee varies depending on the length desired for the license. Licenses are issued for a maximum of 6 months.
Charitable, religious or nonprofit civic organizations are excepted
from the fee requirement, but must still apply for a license.
Transient Retailers having the proper permit may do business
between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
Monday through Saturday only.
YARD SALE PERMITS
Jacobus Borough residents are entitled to 1 (one) Yard Sale Permit in any 12 month period @ a cost of $10.00 (Ten Dollars). The permit may be issued for a maximum of 3 consecutive days between dawn and dusk only. Any and all placards, signs and such, related to the sale must be removed within 24 hours of the conclusion of the sale. The permit granted by Jacobus Borough shall be prominently displayed on the premises during the sale.
Jacobus Borough allows 'FREE' Yard Sale Days for it's residents three times per calendar year. You do not need to obtain a permit to hold a yard sale during the weekends specified below:
A. The Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of the Memorial Day weekend
B. The first Friday and following Saturday and Sundays of July
C. The Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of the Labor Day weekend
For 'permitted' yard sales, copies of Jacobus Borough's Yard Sale Ordinance & printed 'signage' regulations are given to the applicant upon issuance of the permit.